Samir S. Makani, MD, FCCP
Samir S. Makani, MD, FCCP
Director, Interventional Pulmonology and Bronchoscopy
Dr. Makani is considered one of the “Top Doctors” in the annual San Diego Magazine “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” survey.
Dr. Makani’s specialties include Interventional Pulmonology, Complex Central Airways Disease, Lung Cancer, Thoracic Oncology, and Pleural Diseases.
Degrees and Education
- M.B.B.S., University of Pune, Pune, India, August 1993 – January 1999
- University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, Major: Biochemistry and Cell Biology, September 1991 – June 1993
- Henry Ford Hospital, July 2001 – June 2005
- Position: Internal Medicine Chief Resident / Resident
- Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, July 2008 – June 2009
- Position: Fellow, Interventional Pulmonology
- University of California, San Diego, July 2005 – June 2008
- Position: Fellow, Pulmonary and Critical Care
- University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, September 2009 – July 2016
- Position: Director, Interventional Pulmonology and Bronchoscopy
- Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine
- Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship Associate Program Director
- San Diego VA Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, October 2009 – Present
- Position: Director, Interventional Pulmonology
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Critical Care Medicine, October 2009
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Pulmonary Disease, November 2008
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Internal Medicine, August 2004
- Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), May 2000
- Physicians of Exceptional Excellence – Top Doctor Award, San Diego County Medical Society
- American Lung Association Junior Research Training Fellowship Award – Award: $32,500 (July 2007 – June 2008)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NIH T32 Award) – Award: $55,000 (July 2006 – June 2007)
- Yel et al “Molecular Pathways of Thimerosal-Induced Apoptosis in T Cells.” Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology. 109(1) Supplement:S318, January 2002.
- S Makani et al “Biochemical and molecular basis of Thimerosal-induced apoptosis in T cells: a major role of mitochondrial pathway.” Genes and Immunity 2002 Aug; 3(5):270-8
- Wagner SA, Makani SS, Laber DA “Rituximab Induced Interstitial Lung Disease.” Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts) 2005 106: Abstract 4768
- Jen KY, Jain VV, Makani S, Finn PW “Immunomodulation of allergic responses by targeting costimulatory molecules.” Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006 Dec;6(6):489-94.
- Jen KY, Campo M, He H, Makani SS, Velasco G, Rothstein DM, Perkins DL, Finn PW “CD45RB Ligation Inhibits Allergic Pulmonary Inflammation by Inducing CTLA4 Transcription.” J Immunol. 2007 Sep 15;179(6):4212-8.
- SS Makani, V Test “Pulmonary Sclerosing Hemangioma Presenting as an Enlarging Pulmonary Mass” Chest 2007 – Am College of Chest Physicians (Oral Presentation)
- Makani S, Jen KY, Finn PW “New Costimulatory Families: Signaling Lymphocytic Activation Molecule in Adaptive Allergic Responses.” Curr Mol Med. 2008 Aug; 8(5):359-64.
- Makani SS, Ray CD, Simoff MJ “Nonsurgical Correction of Specific Tracheal Stenosis: Pseudoglottic Stenosis” Tri-State Thoracic Conference Sep 2008 (Oral Presentation)
- Makani SS, Ray CD, Simoff MJ “Nonsurgical Correction of Specific Tracheal Stenosis: Pseudoglottic Stenosis” American Thoracic Society – 2009 (Poster Discussion)
- Makani SS et al “Training Opportunities in Traditional Transbronchial Needle Aspiration (TBNA) Remains Unaffected with the Addition of Endobronchial Ultrasound Guided –TBNA” – American Thoracic Society – 2009 (Poster Discussion)
- Nakajima T, Suarez CJ, Lin KW, Jen KY, Schnitzer JE, Makani SS, Parker N, Perkins DL, Finn PW. “T cell pathways involving CTLA4 contribute to a model of acute lung injury” J Immunol. 2010 May 15;184(10):5835-41.
- Scuderi RT, Makani SS et al “Pulmonary langerhans cell histiocytosis diagnosed in a cervical lymph node: a case report.” Acta Cytol. 2010 Jul-Aug;54(4):618-22.
- Thistlethwaite PA, Renner J, Duhamel D, Makani S, Lin GY, Jamieson SW, Harrell J. ”Surgical management of endobronchial inflammatory myofibroblastic tumors.” Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Feb;91(2):367-7
- Rahn D, Thakur S, Makani S, Sandhu, A“Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) for Multiple Primary Lung Cancers (MPLC): A Review and Case Series” (Accepted for Publication Journal of Radiosurgery and SBRT) (2012).
- Haidar YM, Rahn DA 3rd, Nath S, Song W, Bazhenova L, Makani S, Fuster MM, Sandhu AP. “Comparison of outcomes following stereotactic body radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer in patients with and without pathological confirmation.” Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2014 ;8(1):3-12.
- Wood DE, Nader DA, Springmeyer SC, Elstad MR, Coxson HO, Chan A, Rai NS, Mularski RA, Cooper CB, Wise RA, Jones PW, Mehta AC, Gonzalez X, Sterman DH; IBV Valve Trial Research Team. “The IBV Valve trial: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind trial of endobronchial therapy for severe emphysema.” J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2014 Oct;21(4):288-97
- Wood DE, Kazerooni E, Baum SL, Dransfield MT, Eapen GA, Ettinger DS, Hou L, Jackman DM, Klippenstein D, Kumar R, Lackner RP, Leard LE, Leung AN, Makani SS, Massion PP, Meyers BF, Otterson GA, Peairs K, Pipavath S, Pratt-Pozo C, Reddy C, Reid ME, Rotter AJ, Sachs PB, Schabath MB, Sequist LV, Tong BC, Travis WD, Yang SC, Gregory KM, Hughes M. “Lung cancer screening, version 1.2015: featured updates to the NCCN guidelines.” J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2015 Jan;13(1):23-34
- McSparron JI, Michaud GC, Gordon PL, Channick CL, Wahidi MM, Yarmus LB, Feller-Kopman DJ, Makani SS, Koenig SJ, Mayo PH, Kovitz KL, Thomson CC; for the Skills-based Working Group of the Education Committee, American Thoracic Society. “Simulation for Skills-based Education in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.” Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Feb 20
- Weinstock T, Kidambi P, Channick CL, Michaud GC, Broaddus C, Makani SS, Wiener RS, Wilson KC, Thomson CC. “Implementation of Lung Cancer Screening Programs with Low-Dose Computed Tomography in Clinical Practice.” Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Mar;13(3):425-7
- Makani, S. and Simoff, M. J. (2012) Bronchial Thermoplasty, in Flexible Bronchoscopy, Third Edition (eds K.-P. Wang, A. C. Mehta and J. F. Turner), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford (Book Chapter)
- Lerner A, Makani S “ Interventional Pulmonology: Advanced Diagnostic Procedures” 2014 Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition (eds Morris T, Reis A, Barlow R) Lippincott ( Book Chapter)
- Lerner A, Makani S “ Interventional Pulmonology: Therapeutic Procedures” 2014 Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition (eds Morris T, Reis A, Barlow R) Lippincott ( Book Chapter)
- Lerner A, Makani S “ Solitary Pulmonary Nodules” 2014 Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition (eds Morris T, Reis A, Barlow R) Lippincott (Book Chapter)
- Makani S, Fuster M “ Lung Cancer: Diagnosis, Staging, and Prognosis” 2014 Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition (eds Morris T, Reis A, Barlow R) Lippincott ( Book Chapter)
- Transcriptome-Wide Analysis of Alternative mRNA Splicing Isoforms in Lung Cancer, Principal Investigator (July 2010 – Present) – Recruitment Ongoing
- IBV® Valve System for the Treatment of Severe Emphysema – Spiration, Inc., Co-Investigator, Procedural Team (September 2009 – Present) – Recruitment Complete (NCT00475007)
- EASE Trial (Exhale Airway Stents for Emphysema) – Broncus Technologies, Co-Investigator, Team “A” – Procedural Team (July 2008 – June 2009) – Recruitment Complete