Marisa Magaña, MD
Marisa Magaña, MD
Co-Director, ICU Scripps Encinitas
Dr. Magaña is board certified in Internal medicine, pulmonary diseases and critical care medicine in addition, she has completed additional training in Interventional Pulmonology and is board eligible in this sub-specialty.
Dr. Magaña was named as one of the 2015 “Top Doctors” in the annual San Diego Magazine “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” survey.
Degrees and Education
- Harvard Medical School 2014
- Internal Medicine Univ. of CA San Diego 2004-2007
- Chief Residency: Univ. of CA San Diego 2007-2008
- Pulmonary/ Critical Care Fellowship Univ. of CA San Diego 2008-2011
- Assistant Clinical Professor Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care UCSD Lung Transplant Program 2011-2013
- Assistant Clinical Professor Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care, Interventional Pulmonology 2013-2016
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Critical Care
Dr. Magaña was named as one of the 2015 “Top Doctors” in the annual San Diego Magazine “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” survey. She also received this award in 2014.
- Magaña MM and Mandel J. Pulmonary Hypertension. Hospital Medicine Clinics. April 2012; 1 (2): e172-84.
- Magaña MM, Bercovitch R, Fedullo P. Diagnostic Approach to Deep Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism in the Critical Care Setting. Critical Care Clinics. 2011; 27 (4):841-67.
- Georghiou SB, Magaña M, Garfein RS, Catanzaro DG, Catanzaro A, Rodwell T. Evaluation of Genetic Mutations Associated with Mycobacterium tuberculosis Resistance to Amikacin, Kanamycin and Capreomycin: A Systemic Review. PLoS ONE 2012; 7(3): e33275.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033275
- Morris, TA, Marsh, JJ, Magaña MM, Chiles PG, Soler X, DeSantis, DJ, Ngo, D, Woods VL. High Prevalence of Rare Fibrinogen Mutations in Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension. Blood. 2009;114(9):1929-36.
- Morris TA, Marsh JJ, Chiles PG, Kim NH, Noskovack KJ, Magaña MM, Gruppo RA, Woods VL Jr. Abnormally sialylated fibrinogen gamma-chains in a patient with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Thromb Res. 2007; 119 (2):257-9.
- Worgall TS, Davis-Hayman SR, Magaña MM, Oelkers PM, Zapata F, Juliano RA, Osborne TF, Nash TE and Deckelbaum RJ. Sterol and fatty acid regulatory pathways in a Giardia lamblia derived promoter: Evidence for SREBP as an ancient transcription factor. Journal of Lipid Research. 2004 May; 45(5): 981-8.
- Magaña MM, Koo S-H, Towle HC and Osborne TF. Different Sterol Regulatory Element-binding Protein-1 Isoforms Utilize Distinct Co-regulatory Factors to Activate the Promoter for Fatty Acid Synthase. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2000; 275(7): 4726-33.
- Magaña MM, Lin SS, Dooley KA and Osborne TF. Sterol regulation of acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase promoter requires two interdependent binding sites for sterol regulatory element binding proteins. Journal of Lipid Research. 1997; 38(8): 1630-1638.
- Magaña MM and Osborne TF. Two tandem binding sites for sterol regulatory element binding proteins are required for sterol regulation of fatty-acid synthase promoter.The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1996; 271(51): 32689-32694.
- Magaña MM and Makani SS. Normal Bronchoscopy Video. Published in Weinberger SE, Cockrill BA, Mandel J, Principles of Pulmonary Medicine (6th edition), Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2013.
- Stephanie Shin, M.D., Robert Bercovitch, M.D., Marisa Magaña, M.D., Samir Makani, M.D. Endobronchial Findings in Pulmonary Vein Stenosis. American Thoracic Society Meeting. Denver. 2015
- Vyas A, Magaña M. Spontaneous Pneumomediastinum and Pneumopericardium Due to Coughing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 191; 2015:A4426.
- Marsh JJ, Chiles PG, Magaña MM, DeSantis DJ, Woods VL, Morris TA. Two Mutations in the Coiled Coil Region of Fibrinogen in Patients with Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension. American Thoracic Society Meeting. Toronto. 2008.
- Morris TA, Marsh JJ, Magaña MM, Chiles PG, Soler X, DeSantis DJ, Ngo D, Woods VL. Fibrinogen Mutations Are Common Among Patients with Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension. American Thoracic Society Meeting. Toronto. 2008.
- Bharath Ravichandran, PharmD, Ashley A. Feist, PharmD, BCPS, Marisa M. Magaña, MD, Suzanne Reed, RN, BSN, CCTC, James R. Lane, PharmD, Gordon Yung, MD. Alpha-1 Proteinase Inhibitors Post-Lung Transplantation: A Single Center Experience. Poster Presentation at the 2013 International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Conference.